BLOG ARCHIVE

SEARCH

GLGD GALLERY

glass lovers glass database icon

Pinterest

If you have a piece of glass and you are looking for an ID, I've been cataloging glass by pinned images. Check under each image and you'll see a folder link; such as, Indiana Glass or Pairpoint Glass, etc. Click on these links to go to the folders I've been creating by Glass Company. This is a work in progress and needs an administrator. Looking for a GLGD volunteer to assist with these pinnings.

These pins are listings and pictures from all around the internet. This is a guide and shouldn't be taken as deadpan proof that you have found your ID. Many blog writers, sellers, etc. copy other people's listing errors. You should always try to verify your ID with the experts before selling something on the net.


6/22/2013

Who Made Me? What am I? Original or Fake Glass?

Several years ago, I stopped at a garage sale and saw this little dish crying out take me home.  It was thrown into what looked like a trash heap pile.  First thing I loved about this dish was the pattern.  I really love stippled glass and I thought that perhaps somebody had mislaid this little darling.  It appeared to have a Northwood mark and since it was colored, it was possibly depression glass.  At this time, I knew very little about depression glass and I'm still really learning it.

See these three images below on the left.  This is a the little darling I've been talking about; a small amber dessert bowl that looks like the Federal Glass Heritage pattern made during the post depression era.   Pic 3 shows its mark which is very similar to Northwood's hallmark. 

So when I saw this piece, I thought, that's depression glass; and then the mark and I thought--Northwood; so, I said to myself, well okay then.  I moved on over to the little table with cash box and owner at desk and asked, "How much?"  She said 10 cents.  I said, "Okay".  I was elated that I had just purchased a piece of depression glass for 10 cents.  he he he.   I was now an the mad search as to what I actually bought.  What a surprise to find I bought an anomoly.

Click images for larger view
Pic 1  McCrory Fake Heritage Dessert Bowl Federal Glass Heritage (1940's-1960's)
McCrory Dish meant to look like Federal Glass Heritage in amber Federal Glass Heritage small fruit dessert bowl
Pic 2  McCrory Fake Heritage Dessert Bowl
McCrory Dish meant to look like Federal Glass Heritage in amber
Pic 1  McCrory Fake Northwood Mark on Fake Federal Heritage Dessert Bowl Actual Northwood hallmark (an underlined N within a circle)
McCrory Dish meant to look like Federal Glass Heritage in amber Northwood Hallmark

I've been calling this piece a Fake but in reality, is it an original design by an unknown company since there are some striking differences between this Federal Heritage look-a-like and yet many of the motifs were copied?  I did find out that this dish and many other forms like it were distributed by McCrory Stores. After I found this out, it did spur a memory in me of all those individual dishes they use to sell for one dollar by the piece.  But I've been unable to obtain any information about where McCrory bought their glassware.  I'm assumming that they were imports but you know what they say about assumptions..

Below are definitions used in glass collecting that are useful.

Original, Fake, Reissue or Reproduction What am I?

Original: An original is just that an original design produced by the first company to produce a particular design on a piece of glassware.

Reissue: When the original company with the original design stops production of a particular line of glassware or design and then many or a few years later, starts that line or design all over again.

Reproduction: Glassware produced by a new company using the same moulds purchased from the original company.

Fake: A piece of glassware with a design similar to or almost exacting the original design meant to deceive either with or without markings similar to the original markings created by a company mainly unknown.

I'd love to hear from you and see your images if you have a piece McCrory glassware (esp like this one) and if you have knowledge of how McCrory's bought their glassware.  Perhaps you are a former McCrory employee with a little knowledge you could share or a collector that just happened to solve this puzzle.

3 comments:

  1. You can check the two patterns side-by-side at the database page here: http://estatesalestore.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=157848&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, According to Warman's Depression Glass,...
    Gail Morrison Curley 9:50pm Jun 27
    Diana, According to Warman's Depression Glass, Field Guide, 5th ed., page 223, it says "Heritage, manufactured by Federal Glass...1940 to 1955....Reproductions: Bowls have been reproduced in amber, crystal, and green. Some are marked with an N or MC." So the bowl would certainly not be in the Depression Era. Hope this helps. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mark on your plate is from Nadir Figueiredo 1912-still in biz in Brazil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment: